Latest posts by Sam Amico (see all)
- Cavs would just as soon forget Boston preseason massacre - October 14, 2019
- Complete list of players eligible for free agency in 2020 - October 14, 2019
- Clippers, Lakers early favorites for Grizzlies wing Iguodala - October 11, 2019
Random dribbles on the Cavaliers, who continue to await an opponent in the Eastern Conference finals.
1. LeBron James and the gang have quietly been practicing, letting themselves rest a little while putting up lots of shots.
2. That’s a good thing — as nobody improves their skills during games. This is a time to work on shooting, and we saw how much that benefited the Cavs in the previous series against the Hawks.
3. I still think the Cavs can shoot the ball even better, and they still need to defend better. But that’s nitpicking. They’re 8-0.
4. For the record, I think the Pistons are better than the Trail Blazers. And had the Warriors beat the Pistons, everyone would say how incredible the Warriors are. And had the Cavs beat the Blazers, everyone would write about how the East stinks. Just like now.
5. That’s the way it goes for the Cavs. The Warriors are the gold children of the NBA. I love watching the Warriors and admire how they were built and the way they play. But the league and national media and everyone’s constant fawning over them is downright insufferable.
6. Anyway, enough of that. If the Cavs want things to change, and become the NBA’s new darlings, they just need to win and win it all. If they do, watch how quickly the narrative changes.
7. To me, the Cleveland Plain Dealer’s Terry Pluto remains the best writer when it comes to covering the Cavs — and as a columnist who also writes about the Browns, Indians and other sports, covering the Cavs isn’t even Pluto’s full-time duty.
8. Pluto doesn’t rely on anonymous “sources.” In this age of shady Internet reporting, he still gets people to go on record. I encourage you to check out his new series on LeBron. Pluto has already talked to Akron coach Keith Dambrot and ex-Cavs coach Mike Brown. Great stuff.
9. I’d rather the Cavs play the Raptors than the Heat. No one wants to listen to all the Dwyane Wade-LeBron talk the networks are sure to drum up. Game 6 is Friday in Miami. I expect that series to go seven.
10. ICYMI: My latest podcast on the Cavs (with Andy Baskin and Jeff Phelps).