Latest posts by Sam Amico (see all)
- Dribbles: Cavs dish up something they can continue to serve - May 20, 2018
- Nuggets bringing in a dozen prospects for workouts - May 20, 2018
- Wright recommends some Villanova players return - May 20, 2018
BY SAM AMICO
Former Cavaliers and Lakers coach Mike Brown is returning to the sidelines this summer, just not as an NBA coach.
Instead, Brown will be an assistant under head coach Mark Few (Gonzaga University) with Team USA, scheduled to take part in the Pan Am Games in late July. University of Colorado coach Tad Boyle will join Brown as a Team USA assistant.
Twenty-two players, including several with NBA experience, will participate in the U.S. training camp — scheduled for July 7-12 in Colorado Springs, Colo. The roster will be cut down to 12 before the Pan Games begin July 21 in Toronto.
Brown served two stints as head coach of the Cavs, the first taking place from 2005 to 2010. He was then hired back in 2013, but fired by the organization for a second time at the end of the season. He served as head coach of the Lakers during the lockout-shortened 2011season, then fired just five games into the next year.
Players expected to attend the Pan Am Games camp for Team USA:
- Ron Baker, Wichita State
- Malcolm Brogdon, Virginia
- Bobby Brown, Dongguan Leopards (China)
- Isaiah Cousins, Oklahoma
- Micah Downs, Avtor Saratov (Russia)
- Kellen Dunham, Butler
- Rico Gathers, Baylor
- Isaac Haas, Purdue
- Nigel Hayes, Wisconsin
- Malcolm Hill, Illinois
- Ryan Hollins, SacramentoKings
- Keith Langford, UNICS Kazan (Russia)
- Shawn Long, Louisiana
- Monte’ Morris, Iowa State
- Taurean Prince, Baylor
- Anthony Randolph, Lokomotiv-Kuban (Russia)
- Joshua Scott, Colorado
- Kaleb Tarczewski, Arizona
- Romelo Trimble, Maryland
- Denzel Valentine, Michigan State
- Fred Van Vleet, Wichita State
- Damien Wilkins, Indios de Mayagüez (Puerto Rico)
Team USA will train at the Bulls’ practice facility July 13-16, before heading to Canada.
The U.S. will compete in Group A and play all three of its preliminary round games at 9 p.m. EDT — Venezuela on July 21, Puerto Rico on July 22 and Brazil on July 23. Argentina, Canada, Dominican Republic and Mexico are competing in Group B.
The top two teams from each preliminary-round group advance to the medal-round semifinals on July 24, while the third and fourth-placed teams play for fifth-eighth places. The semifinal winners meet for the gold medal on July 25, and semifinal losers will play for the bronze.