Latest posts by Sam Amico (see all)
- Amico: Time is now for Cavs to pull it together - April 20, 2018
- Amico Podcast: Game 3 will tell us a lot about Cavs - April 19, 2018
- Knicks owner doesn’t rule out Porzingis missing next season - April 19, 2018
INDEPENDENCE, Ohio — Five dribbles on the Cavaliers, who completed the first week of training camp Friday.
1. Well, that’s a wrap. The Cavs just finished their first official stretch of camp as world champions. How does it feel? To most of the players, it clearly feels great. A simple eye test at practice shows high spirits, lots of laughs and a great deal of swagger and confidence.
2. These are the new Cavs, the Cavs as you’ve never before seen them. Everyone is in a good mood, always. Everyone is talkative. Some even seem to enjoy hanging with the media. No one has exemplified that more than LeBron James. I’ve covered him closely since 2007. His spirits have never appeared so remarkably high.
3. Iman Shumpert has been starting in J.R. Smith’s spot at shooting guard. Smith, of course, is still unsigned. Shumpert spoke to the media Friday and was asked how things are different in this camp, the Cavs’ first under coach Tyronn Lue. Shumpert smiled widely before answering.
4. Shumpert on Lue: “It’s been great. I’ve had a new coaching staff almost every year. I need consistency, you know what I’m saying? Every time I play really well, it’s the result of having consistency around me — consistency in practice, consistency of hearing one voice. T-Lue commands a certain respect. I appreciate that.”
5. More Shumpert on Lue: “He knows what he wants. There are no ifs, ands or buts. He says what he needs to say, then blows the whistle and walks away. It’s like, ‘Get it done,’ and that’s that. That’s good for us. He gives us direction.”
6. The Cavs are off Saturday, then will hold the Wine & Gold Scrimmage on Sunday. We have tons more from practice, including lots of video, at the following links: