Latest posts by Sam Amico (see all)
- Are Nets most likely to land T-Wolves’ Butler? - September 25, 2018
- AH Radio: What can we really expect from Love, Cavs? - September 25, 2018
- Report: Thibodeau tried to convince Butler to stay with Wolves - September 25, 2018
Some random dribbles on the Cavaliers, who have yet to take a preseason game seriously or win one.
1. After sitting out the first three preseason games with a bum ankle, LeBron James is expected to play in the Cavs’ final home game of the preseason Tuesday vs. the Chicago Bulls.
2. That presumably will mark the first time fans get to see James next to Dwyane Wade, Jae Crowder and Derrick Rose in a Cavs uniform. It won’t mean anything, and it likely won’t be for long — as coach Tyronn Lue typically only plays his main men for a half. But it should give people a small taste of what’s to come.
3. No, you don’t need to worry about the Cavs’ 0-3 preseason record. Most of these games are truly what you would expect — exhibitions for fans to take a close look at glorified practices.
4. In fact, and most fans don’t know this, but the NBA doesn’t require its teams to play any preseason games. But when a team figures out it can make money off a scrimmage, well, you know. You gotta make it when you can.
5. The Cavs wrap up the preseason Friday at the Orlando Magic.
6. In case you missed my podcast late last week, the feeling around the organization is that Kevin Love looks revived, happier. And not just because he’s moved to starting center — but there’s a feeling that the likes of Wade, Rose and eventually, Isaiah Thomas, will look to get the ball to Love more often than Kyrie Irving did.
7. James, by the way, has always encouraged Love and looked to get Love involved. Another reason Love likes being in Cleveland.
8. The Cavs continue to explore possible trades involving Iman Shumpert, but Shumpert’s foot injury hasn’t helped matters. It was already tough enough to find a taker. But they appear to be attempting one last-gasp effort before waiving someone.
9. I’ve been told the Cavs already know which player with a guaranteed contract will be waived if they can’t make a trade. But I haven’t been told who that player is. They could make some cuts as early as Tuesday.