Latest posts by Sam Amico (see all)
- Could Cavs make run at available Mavericks guard Smith Jr.? - January 16, 2019
- Will be ‘shocking’ if rising Kings stand pat for rest of season - January 16, 2019
- Lakers’ James to miss at least two more games, both on road - January 16, 2019
With Stan Van Gundy having been axed as president of basketball of operations and head coach, the Detroit Pistons are on the lookout to fill both positions.
Team owner Tom Gores and chairman Arn Tellem are leading the search. Typically, teams hire a president of basketball operations/general manager, then let him make a decision on the coach. So finding a head basketball honcho is likely the Pistons’ top priority.
Former Cleveland Cavaliers GM David Griffin is said to be on the Pistons’ radar. Griffin is a free agent after taking over a Cavs team that was blessed with LeBron James’ return in 2014. Griffin received (and likely deserved) a lot of credit for putting the proper parts around James — and will forever be remembered as the GM when the Cavs won the first title in franchise history in 2016.
It is not yet known if Griffin has an interest in the Pistons.
Along with Griffin, several others have emerged as names to watch for the Pistons’ top basketball decision-making post:
- Chauncey Billups. The former Pistons guard and NBA champion is an analyst with ESPN. He flirted with the Cavs last summer before turning down their offer to be GM.
- Rich Cho. A salary-cap expert, Cho has experience running a team — and is available after being fired by the Charlotte Hornets near the end of the season.
- Phil Jackson. Yeah, it’s a long shot. The 11-time NBA coaching champion and former New York Knicks executive is resting comfortably in Montana. But don’t be shocked if the Pistons ask.
- Gersson Rosas. Not a splashy name, but the Houston Rockets’ executive vice president is linked to nearly every front-office position every season and is highly regarded.
- Larry Harris. The Golden State Warriors’ director of player personnel is beginning to receive mention in league circles as a potential GM.