Latest posts by Sam Amico (see all)
- Wizards’ Wall progressing, could practice this week - March 19, 2018
- Cavaliers signing White to 10-day contract - March 18, 2018
- Your Ball: Does Cavs’ Zizic deserve more minutes? - March 16, 2018
Former NBA big man Elton Brand has been named general manager of the Philadelphia 76ers’ G-League affiliate in Delaware, the team announced Monday.
Brand played 17 seasons in the NBA after being drafted No. 1 overall by the Chicago Bulls in 1999, and spent five years with the 76ers. Overseeing the 87ers will be his first attempt at pro basketball management.
“We are thrilled that Elton has agreed to take on the GM position of the Sevens, a natural next step given both his personal and professional skillset,” Sixers president of basketball operations Bryan Colangelo said in a statement. “The transition from a terrific playing career to team management was something that we have been talking about for some time and this opportunity is both timely and appropriate. I look forward to working side-by-side with Elton as we continue to grow and develop our overall basketball program.”
Here’s more from around pro basketball:
- Undrafted rookie swingman L.J. Peak has agreed to a partially guaranteed contract with the Boston Celtics, per ESPN. Peak played at Georgetown and is likely headed for the Maine Red Claws of the G-League.
- The Celtics are also working out free agent forward and former lottery pick Thomas Robinson, according to a report from ESPN. He becomes the latest big man linked to the team, with center Andrew Bogut’s name surfacing late last week.
- Former UConn shooting guard Rodney Purvis has reached agreement on a contract with the Orlando Magic, per ESPN. He is expected to play for the Magic’s new G-League affiliate in Lakeland.
- Free agent forward Ben Bentil has signed with Chalons-Reims of France, the team announced Monday. Bentils has had stints in both the NBA and G-League.
- Utah Jazz second-round pick and rookie point guard Nigel Williams-Goss has signed with Serbian club KK Partizan Belgrade, per the team (via HoopsRumors). Williams-Goss is fresh off an appearance in the NCAA championship game with Gonzaga. He was the 55th overall pick.