GM Morey denies report Rockets will waive Anthony

Rockets forward Carmelo Anthony is expected to officially be waived soon, after appearing in just 10 games.

Houston Rockets general manager Daryl Morey denied a report Sunday that the team intends to waive forward Carmelo Anthony.

“It’s unfair that there’s all this speculation on just one person,” Morey told reporters. “I understand it he’s obviously a Hall of Famer. But it’s unfair.”

Morey was responding to a New York Times report that cited sources who said Anthony had been informed a parting of ways was coming soon.

Anthony has struggled somewhat in his role with the Rockets, missing his second straight game Sunday with what the team has called an illness. He is averaging 13.4 points and 5.4 rebounds in his 16th NBA season.

“I know that we’re talking about everything,” Morey said. “We’re a team trying to win the championship and we’re 4-7 and we’re not in a good place so we’re looking at everything. We’re looking at all aspects right now.”

Rockets coach Mike D’Antoni laughed when asked if the Anthony rumors have created a distraction.

“Our problem is we can’t shoot the basketball,” he said. “That’s a hindrance … and we’ve got to fix that.”

D’Antoni added that Anthony “has been great” and has done everything that’s been asked.

The Rockets defeated the Indiana Pacers 115-103 on Sunday for their first home win of the season. They are off to a 5-7 start after finishing with the league’s best record last year.

“I feel like we have been playing better … but the reality is we’re nowhere near where we expect to be and we have high expectations and we’re going to stick with those,” Morey said.

Comments are closed.