Lawsuit causes Lakers to back out of Wilson deal

Jamil Wilson appeared in 15 games with the Clippers this season.

The Los Angeles Lakers have backed out of a 10-day contract with Jamil Wilson after learning a lawsuit had been filed against the free-agent small forward, per a report from TMZ Sports.

Wilson, 27, was waived by the LA Clippers earlier this week and was expected to join the Lakers on Wednesday. However, according to ESPN, the Lakers reneged on the deal after learning “a woman had filed a lawsuit in Los Angeles County Superior Court alleging that she contracted a sexually transmitted disease from Wilson while dating him.”

The report says the woman alleged Wilson knew he had an STD but did not share the information with her prior to allegedly engaging in unprotected sex.

“Jamil has been irreparably harmed by the recent accusation, which has now resulted in damage to his NBA career,” Wilson’s agent, Steve McCaskill, told ESPN. “We will not tolerate these false accusations, but will pursue all legal remedies with the full force of the law.”

Wilson averaged 7.0 points and 2.7 rebounds in 15 games with the Clippers this season. He also spent time with the Agua Caliente Clippers of the G League.

He is 6-foot-7 and a product of Marquette, and has as also played professionally in Puerto Rico and Italy.

According to ESPN, the Lakers may still be open to signing Wilson later this season.

Be the first to comment on "Lawsuit causes Lakers to back out of Wilson deal"

Leave a comment

Your email address will not be published.


*