Latest posts by Sam Amico (see all)
- Anthony ‘excited’ about possibility of Rockets, D’Antoni - July 13, 2018
- Thomas agrees to one-year pact with Nuggets - July 12, 2018
- Nets send Lin to Hawks; teams exchange picks - July 13, 2018
Minnesota Timberwolves owner Glen Taylor wants to meet face-to-face with swingman Andrew Wiggins before following through with plans to offer Wiggins a maximum contract, according to a report from the Associated Press.
“To me, by making this offer, I’m speculating that his contribution to the team will be more in the future,” Taylor told the AP. “We’ve got to be better. He can’t be paid just for what he’s doing today. He’s got to be better.”
Wiggins’ extension is expected to be for $150 million over five years.
Taylor continued: “So when you’re talking about negotiations on his part, I’m already extending to him that I’m willing to meet the max. But there are some things that I need out of him, and that is the commitment to be a better player than you are today.”
Wiggins has been linked to the Cleveland Cavaliers in recent Kyrie Irving trade rumors, and Taylor declined to comment to the AP on those rumors Monday.
The Timberwolves owner previously denied reports that the team is considering trading Wiggins.
Wiggins, 22, is 6-foot-8 and averaged 23.6 points and 4.0 rebounds last season, playing in all 82 games.
Here’s more from around the NBA:
- Former Timberwolves general manager Milt Newton is finalizing a deal to become the Milwaukee Bucks’ assistant GM, according to ESPN. Newton was Minnesota’s GM during the regime of the late Flip Saunders.
- The New York Knicks have officially re-signed second-year guard Ron Baker, the team announced. According to a report from ESPN, Baker’s deal is for two years and $8.9 million.
- The Knicks also announced the signing of second-round draft pick Damyean Dotson, a 6-5 shooting guard out of Houston.
- Former Oregon State coach Craig Robinson has been hired to work in a front-office role with the Knicks, according to a report from The Vertical. Robinson is the brother-in-law of President Barack Obama.