The Orlando Magic have waived veteran point C.J. Watson, the team announced Monday.
The move sets up Watson to become an unrestricted free agent.
It also took place one day after the team announced the signing of point guard Shelvin Mack, a free agent from the Utah Jazz.
Mack joins starter Elfrid Payton and D.J. Augustin as the Magic point men.
As for Watson, the Orlando Sentinel wrote that cutting him left the Magic “on the hook for only $1 million of his $5 million salary for the upcoming season. … Orlando had until 11:59 p.m. Monday to waive Watson. If the team kept him beyond that point, it would have owed him the full $5 million.”
The Magic are operating under new management, as Jeff Weltman has taken over as the team’s president of basketball operations, with John Hammond serving as the new GM.
Here’s more from around the league:
- Free agent swingman Reggie Bullock will return to the Detroit Pistons on a two-year contract worth $5 million, per The Vertical.
- According the Associated Press, the Miami Heat are conducting talks with free agent forwards Udonis Haslem and Luke Babbitt. Haslem has also held talks with the Cleveland Cavaliers, per the report.
- The Atlanta Hawks have an interest in free agent center Dewayne Dedmon, according to a report from Basketball Insiders. In the same report, BI credits HoopsHype for mentioning the Hawks may also have an interest in forward Willie Reed. Dedmon, 27, most recently played for the San Antonio Spurs. Reed, also 27, most recently played for the Heat.
- The Kings have officially added Zach Randolph, George Hill and Vince Carter to all that promising youth. Should be a fun team to watch.
- The Patrick Patterson signing with the Oklahoma City Thunder is official. Patterson, of course, joins reigning league MVP Russell Westbrook and major offseason acquisition Paul George.
- Along with Patterson, the Thunder also officially announced the signing of point guard Raymond Felton.
- Bojan Bogdanovic has officially signed with George’s old running mates, the Indiana Pacers. That is a team that will need some name tags for training camp.