Latest posts by Sam Amico (see all)
- Report: Hornets sending Howard to Nets - June 20, 2018
- AH Radio: For Cavs, possibilities endless on draft night - June 20, 2018
- Cavs bring in Young for pre-draft workout - June 19, 2018
How will free agent find Rudy Gay fit with a San Antonio Spurs team that already has Kawhi Leonard?
Both players are talented small forwards — with Leonard a regular candidate for league MVP.
But Gay isn’t too shabby himself, as he’s just two seasons removed from averaging 21 points per game with the Sacramento Kings.
So Gay and Leonard will have to learn to play together, with Gay potentially backing up Leonard and performing a supporting role. At least that’s the assumption. Right?
Or not right?
“I wouldn’t assume anything,” Leonard’s agent, Robert Montgomery, told the San Antonio Express-News. “The Spurs don’t make mistakes with the guys they sign and how they fit into their culture. He’ll fit in fine.”
Gay, 30, is coming off a season in which he played just 30 games before suffering a torn Achilles. So it could be a little bit of a process before he is back to normal and contributing for coach Gregg Popovich and and the gang.
“He’s healthy. He’s cleared,” Montgomery told the Express-News. “We don’t expect any residuals from the injury.”
Here’s more from San Antonio:
- The Spurs have agreed to a deal with free-agent center Joffrey Lauvergne, according to a report from Yahoo Sports. “Lauvergne became an unrestricted free agent on Saturday when the Chicago Bulls pulled his qualifying offer, and he received immediate interest,” the website noted. “The Spurs considered several big men in an effort to fortify their bench.”
- Spurs draft-and-stash prospect Adam Hanga appeared ready to make the jump to the NBA until the team signed Gay, per a Eurohoops.net report (h/t to Project Spurs). But with Gay in the fold, it appears Hanga, a small forward from Hungary, will sign a three-year deal with FC Barcelona of Spain. Hanga will be 31 years old when the contract expires.