Wade says he won’t recruit LeBron to Miami again

Having returned to Miami, Dwyane Wade says he will not be recruiting LeBron James to Miami again this summer as he did in the summer of 2010.

Dwyane Wade went down the road before… and says he won’t be doing so again.

In the summer of 2010, Wade recruited LeBron James and Chris Bosh to join him with the Miami Heat and it resulted in two NBA championships (2012, 2013) and four consecutive trips to the NBA Finals (2011-2014).

However, Wade, traded back home by the Cleveland Cavaliers to Miami before the deadline Thursday, said he won’t be pitching LeBron to rejoin him with the Heat if James, as expected, declines his $35 million player option this summer and becomes an unrestricted free agent for the third time in his career.

“No. No, I don’t have anything to do with it, none of that,” Wade told former South Florida radio host Jorge Sedano in an interview at AmericanAirlines Arena. The story was reported by Ira Winderman of the Florida Sun-Sentinel. “One thing I know is he makes his own decisions. So when we get to that point, hopefully, he takes a good look at the place he’s at and gives that real consideration, and then goes from there.

“It’s his decision and I don’t want nothing to do with it at all.”

James returned the favor for Wade recruiting him to Miami in 2010 by doing the same for Wade, recruiting him to join him in Cleveland after Wade negotiated a buyout of his contract with the Chicago Bulls last summer.

Wade expressed appreciation for Cavaliers General Manager Koby Altman working out a deal to send him back to Miami. He also praised the work Altman did in bringing George Hill, Rodney Hood, Jordan Clarkson and Larry Nance Jr. to the Cavaliers in deadline-day deals.

“As I texted the general manager, Koby, after everything went down, I thanked him for putting me in a good position and also told him, ‘You did one hell of a job to bring the guys that he brought into the organization,'” Wade said. “And it’s not anything negative against the guys that were there, but it just wasn’t working, it wasn’t fitting the way that a championship organization wants to see it fit. And they brought in some good pieces.

“And so, they’re happy, I’m happy.”

It certainly wasn’t that way when the deal went down that allowed Wade to return to South Beach. The Cavaliers had been one of the worst teams in the NBA since Christmas.

“We started losing. Winning cures all; losing makes everything seem bad,” he said. “We won 18 out of 19, everything was good. We started losing… ”

Regarding his own future, the 36-year-old Wade, who told NBA TV that this will be the last stop in what is sure to be a Hall-of-Fame career, is going to take it one year at a time.

“I’m going into the summer and seeing how I feel,” he said.

And he reiterated, he will not be attempt to lure LeBron back to South Beach.

“I’m out of all of that,” he said. “I’ll recruit when I’m done playing.”

1 Comment on "Wade says he won’t recruit LeBron to Miami again"

  1. Wade may want to hang up his sneakers after this year. A lot of older players can’t come to grips with retiring. Understandably so: the money and applause dry up once they leave the court. Wade is like a carton of milk whose expiration date has passed, but he’s still sitting in the refrigerator. It’s time for him, Ginobili, Parker and Vince Carter to start filling out job applications like the rest of us. Like that line from Rambo, “It’s over, Johnny! It’s OVER!”

Comments are closed.