Small forward Kawhi Leonard is expected to decline the player option in his contract and meet with the Los Angeles Clippers on July 2, according to Frank Isola of The Athletic.
The meeting is “tentatively scheduled,” Isola reported, citing sources.
Leonard is coming off a championship with the Toronto Raptors and a report from True Hoop last month said Leonard is likely to re-sign a shorter deal with the Raptors.
Meanwhile, Chris Haynes of Yahoo Sports reported Leonard will opt out of his contract but will “seriously consider” re-signing with the Raptors. The Clippers are said to be a draw for Leonard because LA is his hometown. (He is said to not have an interest in the Lakers, though they will most certainly recruit him.)
The Raptors are the only team that can offer Leonard a max contract of five years, $190 million.
“LA has a home court advantage but Toronto can get him another title next year,” Isola wrote.
Leonard averaged 26.6 points and 7.3 rebounds in 60 regular-season games with the Raptors.