Latest posts by Sam Amico (see all)
- Beilein, Cavs continue to march toward parting of ways - February 17, 2020
- Antetokounmpo says Bucks seem like long-term option - February 17, 2020
- Wright not likely to leave Villanova to coach Knicks - February 17, 2020
Golden State Warriors swingman Patrick McCaw intends to turn down a two-year offer from the team worth $5.2 million, according to a detailed report from Mark Medina and Logan Murdock of the San Jose Mercury News.
McCaw will remain a restricted free agent after his qualifying offer (one year, $1.7-million) expires at midnight.
“The Warriors remain intent on re-signing the 22-year-old McCaw because of his upside as a wing defender, and currently remain reluctant to explore any contingency plans to fill McCaw’s possible vacancy,” Medina and Murdock reported. “But the Warriors have become increasingly perplexed with McCaw, who has missed the Warriors’ first week of training camp and preseason opener because of his hopes for a more lucrative, multi-year deal.”
McCaw has drawn little-to-no interest as a free agent, which is very likely why the Warriors are puzzled over the holdout.
In the event a surprising offer comes McCaw’s way, the Warriors would still have three days to match.
“Beyond maximizing his earnings and security, McCaw has wanted a two-year deal so he could become an unrestricted free agent in 2020,” Medina and Murdock reported, citing sources.
McCaw has averaged 4.0 points in each of his first two seasons, appearing in 57 games last year. He would be a restricted free agent next summer with a one-year deal. But it appears as if that won’t be the case.
Warriors coach Steve Kerr has told reporters he is hopeful McCaw returns.