A 10-year-old girl dies of bubonic plague in Colorado
26 July 2021 17:51 GMT
Although considered a problem of the past, flea bites and contact with carrier animals cause occasional infections in rural areas.
A 10-year-old girl living in La Plata County (Colorado, USA) died earlier this month of bubonic plague caused by the bacterium ‘Yersinia pestis’. Reports Department of Public Health and the Environment.
According to Posts From the United States Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC, for its acronym in English), this is the first serious case of the disease in the country since 2015, with 16 people diagnosed with the plague this year and 4 of them dying.
It is a disease that, although often considered a problem of the past, Occurs occasionally in rural areas From different countries of the world.
Transmission to humans usually occurs as a result Flea bites Victimized or by Direct contact with carrier animals Of bacteria.
Colorado health officials have issued a warning to watch out for wildlife after laboratory analysis confirmed the presence of bacteria in animals and fleas in at least six districts.
They also reminded residents that the disease can be effectively treated With the help of antibiotics Within the first 24 hours after the onset of symptoms, fever, headache, and vomiting may occur.
If you find it interesting, please share it with your friends!