MLB is investigating accusations against Wander Franco on social media
ST: PETERSBURG — The Rays released a statement Sunday night that Major League Baseball is investigating social media posts about star shortstop Wanderer Franco that were made earlier in the day.
“During today’s match, we learned of the messages on social networks that were circulating regarding Wanderer Franco,” the club said. “We are taking the situation very seriously and are in close contact with Major League Baseball as it conducts due diligence.”
On Sunday, posts went viral on social media alleging that Franco, 22, had an inappropriate relationship with a minor.
Franco did not play in the Rays’ 9-2 loss to the Guardians Sunday afternoon at Tropicana Field. It was “just the day off” for the All-Star team, said manager Kevin Cash, who has started each of the previous 20 Rays games and 39 of the past 40.
“I am aware of the speculation. I will not comment further on that,” Cash said. “But the day off was due [era] holiday”.
The Rays kick off a three-game series against the Giants on Monday in San Francisco.