Nicolás Maduro will not attend the SELAC summit

(CNN Spanish) — Venezuela’s embattled President Nicolas Maduro will not attend the SELAC summit in Argentina, the Venezuelan government said in a statement on Monday.

According to Venezuela’s Ministry of Communications, the president’s trip was suspended due to security.

The statement said the Venezuelan government had been informed of an “aggression plan” against the delegation led by Nicolás Maduro.

Argentina’s foreign ministry responded to CNN saying it would not comment on the matter.

On behalf of Venezuela, only its foreign minister, Yuan Gil, was present.

Maduro had planned to meet Brazilian President Luiz Inacio Lula da Silva on the sidelines of the summit on Monday, before the meeting was canceled.

Responding to questions from journalists on Monday, Lula said Brazil would restore diplomatic ties with Venezuela, which were suspended during the government of his predecessor Jair Bolsonaro.

“Venezuela must have an embassy in Brazil and Brazil an embassy in Venezuela, and we will restore civil relations between two autonomous, free and independent countries,” Lula said during a joint press conference with the Argentine president in Buenos Aires. .

“We will solve the problem of Venezuela through dialogue, not through blockades. Let’s find a solution through negotiation and not threats of aggression. Let’s solve it through dialogue, not by individual crimes,” Lula concluded.

With information from Mia Alberti and Stefano Bossepan.

See also  Hugo Sanchez presented himself on Spanish television to direct Real Madrid

Arzu Daniel

"Extreme pop culture lover. Twitter enthusiast. Music ninja. Booze. Communicator. Bacon nerd in general."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *