Latest posts by Colton Jones (see all)
- 2018-19 Season Preview Review: Phoenix Suns - June 25, 2019
- 2018-19 Season Preview Review: New York Knicks - June 24, 2019
- Cavaliers won’t extend qualifying offer to Blossomgame - June 23, 2019
The Chicago Bulls have shut down rookies Wendell Carter Jr. and Chandler Hutchison for the rest of the season because of injuries, and Otto Porter Jr. could be next.
Bulls executive vice president of basketball operations John Paxson told reporters Chicago “has run out of time” with the injuries to Carter (left thumb surgery) and Hutchison (right toe injury). The status of Porter (right rotator cuff strain) could be headed that way, too.
“It’s kind of trending that way,” Paxson said.
Carter, the No. 7 overall pick in the draft last spring, and Hutchison, the No. 22 overall pick, have both played in only 44 of Chicago’s 74 games this season.
Carter is averting 10.3 points and 7.0 rebounds, while Hutchison is at 5.2 posts and 4.2 boards.
Porter sat out his third consecutive game in a blowout loss against the Utah Jazz on Saturday, with leading scorer Zach LaVine (right knee tendinitis) didn’t play for the second straight game.
“We’re gonna monitor them,” Paxson said. “Otto has so many things going on that we won’t push him. We may run out of time, too. For Zach, I think it’s important for him to try to fight through some of these little things. Last year, we shut him down toward the end.
“It’s a case-by-case basis. With Zach, we’re gonna monitor him, too. If his patellar tendinitis doesn’t get appreciably better in the next week, then you start looking at the reality of it, and it doesn’t make any sense [to play].
“But we’re not there yet.”
Th Bulls (21-53) play at Toronto on Tuesday night.