The NBA reportedly sent a memo to all 30 teams Friday that said a change in eligibility rules for the NBA draft could be implemented as soon as 2021.
Zach Lowe of ESPN reported the memo did not mention the oft-debated one-and-one rule specifically, but it is believed the changes would include permitting prospects to enter the league after their senior years in high school as opposed to attending one year of college.
The report by Lowe said that the change would not take place before 2021 and it is believed the eligibility requirements will be changed by either the 2021 or 2022 draft.
Lowe’s report says the memo was sent in an effort to inform teams the change could take place before the expiration of the current collective bargaining agreement happens in 2024.
The memo is akin to an advisory to teams that might think about dealing future first-round picks in the days leading up to Thursday’s draft.
“As we approach the NBA Draft on June 21,” the memo states, “and the increase in trade activity that often accompanies it, please be reminded of this ongoing review and the possibility that the eligibility rules could change” between 2021 and 2024.
Under the present system, prospects are required to be one year removed from the end of the senior year in high school to be eligible for the draft.
The result has been most top prospects to spend a season playing at the collegiate level before entering the draft, while a few select players have chosen to play professionally overseas instead.
The one-and-done rule was implemented in 2006. Previously, players were permitted to enter the NBA draft straight out of high school, which such superstars as LeBron James, Kevin Garnett and Kobe Bryant did.
As Lowe reports, if the eligibility rules are changed, it will result in a loaded draft when it takes place as that draft will include the top high school prospects of two straight classes in a single draft class.