Latest posts by Sam Amico (see all)
- Cavaliers aiming for another dose of draft lottery luck - June 5, 2020
- NBA players approve proposal for resumption of season - June 5, 2020
- Boylen’s fate as Bulls coach reportedly ‘all but sealed’ - June 5, 2020
All-Star shooting guard Klay Thompson would be open to a meeting with the Los Angeles Clippers should the Golden State Warriors not offer Thompson a max-level contract, NBA insider Adrian Wojnarowski said on an ESPN free agency show.
Wojnarowski specified that Thompson would likely only be interested in the Clippers if the Warriors failed to offer him a five-year, max-level contract by the start of free agency Sunday night.
Thompson is an unrestricted free agent this offseason, but a torn ACL in Game 6 of the NBA Finals left the Warriors’ next steps in doubt. He will undergo surgery later this week and Warriors general manager Bob Myers said it’s unclear when Thompson will return.
That said, Thompson’s father, Mychal Thompson, told the San Francisco Chronicle earlier this month that there’s “no question” Klay will re-sign with the Warriors.
The 29-year old shooting guard averaged 21.5 points and 3.5 rebounds during the regular season and along with Steph Curry and Draymond Green, has been part of the Warriors’ core that has reached the Finals five straight times.
But this could be a summer of change for the Warriors, as Kevin Durant was felled by a rupture Achilles’ tendon. Durant, 31, is expected to miss all of next season and is likely to opt out of his contract this summer and also enter free agency.
The Clippers will have the ability to sign two maximum-salaried players this offseason.