UFC star Conor McGregor was hit by a multi-million-pound lawsuit by two women, days before he was set to return to the sport.
On Wednesday, the Irishman vowed to fight the personal injury and assault cases brought against him by women over the events that allegedly occurred in 2018.
MacGregor, 32, has denied wrongdoing after Dublin Supreme Court proceedings began yesterday by the women, believed to be a mother and daughter.
One is suing the Dublin-born fighter for alleged assault. The other is taking a personal injury lawsuit against him.
The nature of the allegations against McGregor cannot be disclosed for legal reasons. The second defendant was also listed in the court file.
The allegations against McGregor were previously investigated by Irish police, but no action was taken.
MacGregor, 32 (pictured), has denied wrongdoing after Dublin Supreme Court proceedings began yesterday by two women, believed to be a mother and daughter.
A spokesperson for Mr McGregor said: “ After a thorough police investigation that included, in addition to interviews with the Prosecutor, interviews with various sources, obtaining witness statements, examination of closed circuit footage and Conor McGregor’s cooperation, these allegations were categorically rejected. Karen J. Kessler said in a statement.
The plaintiff knows that the facts contradict the assertions of this lawsuit. Mr. McGregor will contest any allegations and is confident that justice will prevail.
The women now have a year to file papers against McGregor, with their attorney – Coleman Legal Partners – refusing to comment publicly on the case.
The law firm specializes in personal injury and medical negligence, according to its website.
McGregor is currently training in Abu Dhabi for an upcoming battle against Dustin Poirier on Sunday morning, his first fight in nearly a year.
The former UFC champ has faced a host of other criminal and legal charges in recent years, during which he has left and returned to the sport several times.
He was not contesting any uncontrolled behavior after he threw a metal doll at the window of a moving bus carrying other UFC fighters in April 2018.
He was convicted and sentenced to five days of community service, and ordered to take between one and three lessons in anger management.
In March 2019, he was arrested in Miami Beach and accused of breaking a man’s phone. The case was dropped, as was another lawsuit after MacGregor reached an out-of-court settlement with the man.
McGregor pleaded guilty to assault in November 2019 for punching a man in a Dublin bar, and was fined £ 890.
At the time, the court heard that the fighter had 18 previous rulings, most of them related to traffic offenses.
Last September, McGregor was arrested after allegedly subjected to sexual assault and indecent exposure in a bar on the island of Corsica. He denied any wrongdoing in the case and was released without charge.
Conor McGregor on Wednesday pledged to fight personal injury and assault lawsuits filed against him by two women over incidents allegedly occurring in 2018. Pictured: Conor McGregor celebrates after winning a fight on January 18, 2020.
After a while out of the sport, McGregor returned to fight in the UFC, but lost to arch-rival Khabib Nurmagomedov.
He then took a 15-month hiatus, before returning to the ring 12 months earlier to fight Donald Cerrone, who beat him in just 40 seconds.
If he defeats Poirier – who he faced last in 2014 – he could get another title opportunity against either champion Nurmagomedov, or the next available contender if he retires.
MacGregor has a long-term partner, Dee Devlin, who has been with him since 2008. The couple share two children together.