The ceasefire will begin at noon Saturday (ET from 4am) to “exchange prisoners of war, detainees and bodies for humanitarian purposes”.
The foreign ministry said the ceasefire parameters would be agreed separately.
The announcement comes after diplomats met in Moscow and engaged in brokerage talks with the Russian Foreign Ministry.
The controversy over Nagorno-Karabakh ran hot and cold after the 1994 ceasefire, but the clashes began on September 27. It is not clear what started this latest expansion. Armenia says it has provoked conflicts with aggression and has been attacked by Azerbaijani forces.
A spokesman for Azerbaijan’s foreign ministry said at least 24 civilians had been killed, 121 injured and more than 300 buildings destroyed since then.
The area is populated and controlled by Armenians, and with the help of Armenian immigrants it sits within the borders of Azerbaijan. It is heavily militarized and its forces are backed by Armenia, which has a security alliance with Russia.
Azerbaijan has long been claiming the recapture of an internationally recognized territory called Azerbaijan.