Latest posts by Sam Amico (see all)
- Nets unlikely to keep Russell should they land Irving - June 14, 2019
- Sixers’ Butler to decline player option, enter free agency - June 14, 2019
- Warriors likely to offer Thompson max; ‘no question’ he’ll re-sign - June 14, 2019
Latest quick takes on the Cleveland Cavaliers, who continue to operate without a full-time general manager.
1. Former LeBron James teammate Udonis Haslem is “on the radar screen” of the Cavs, according to an Associated Press report. Haslem is a 6-foot-8 power forward who is now 38 years old. He played in just 16 games with the Heat last season and averaged a measly 1.9 points. Perhaps thankfully for Cavs fans, Haslem clearly wants to remain in Miami.
2. Meanwhile, sources initially believed reserve forward Richard Jefferson and Channing Frye may be considering retirement this summer, and quite frankly, the Cavs were probably hopeful they were. But Jefferson announced on his podcast that he’ll return — just a couple of weeks after Frye denied on Instagram that he’s ready to hang ’em up. The Cavs continue to feverishly search for trade partners for Frye and Iman Shumpert.
3. Free agent small forward James Jones is not expected to be re-signed. Jones, 36, appeared in just 48 games last season and averaged less than eight minutes in those games. He told Amico Hoops on media day in September that he had hoped to play two more seasons (last season and the upcoming one). But the Cavs seem intent on giving his roster spot to someone else.
4. ESPN posted a story stating the Cavs “low-balled” Chauncey Billups with an offer of $2 million annually to run the team’s basketball operations. The story also stated Billups is “considered around the league as a future front-office star.” No one I’ve talked to around the NBA has said that about him. “I think most people consider him a future front-office unknown,” one West Coast GM told Amico Hoops via text. But the report was accurate in that $2 million a year is low for a GM, even one with no prior experience.
5. The Cavs announced their summer roster Wednesday. Damon Jones will coach the team, which opens Friday vs. the Milwaukee Bucks. The roster is as follows (name, position, last team/country):
Gerald Beverly, F, Canton Charge; Sam Cassell Jr., G, Iona; Kay Felder, G, Cavs; Anthony Gill, F, Turkey; Roosevelt Jones, G, Canton Charge; Brandon Paul, G, Turkey; Sir’Dominic Pointer, G/F, Israel; Casey Prather, G/F, Germany; Edy Tavares, C, Cavs; Malcolm Thomas, F, China; Andrew White, G, Syracuse; T.J. Williams, G, Northeastern.