Things You Need to Know about Authoring Tools: A detailed guide
An authoring tool is a software program that allows creating digital training content using media, text, and interactions and converts it to an eLearning format which will be helpful for the learners. It is usually distributed among the learners through tools like learning management systems.
In simple terms, you can say that the authoring tool like Easygenerator helps to develop the content more effectively. If not for authoring tools, it would be infeasible to develop the content. For instance, if you want to add hotspots to an image, with the help of eLearning tools you can easily do it in a few clicks. But with authoring tools, you need to code this functionality on a code-by-code basis which would take lots of time.
Now, let’s look at different types of authoring tools.
- Cloud-based authoring tools: Web-based applications are so popular because they don’t require a special operating system or hardware configuration. The learners or users can directly open the application in the browser and can start working. With this tool, you can easily create web-style content, design pages, and interactions, etc.
- PowerPoint-based tools: There is a class of eLearning tools that work as add-ins to PowerPoint. With tools like this, it becomes easy for the designers to turn PowerPoint presentations into e-courses. The major plus point for this tool is its intuitive user interface. These add-ins elevate PowerPoint’s basic functionality with features like dialogue simulations, quizzes, and video lectures.
- Standalone authoring tools: To master these tools, you need some practice. Just like Photoshop is designed for graphic designers and video editors, this tool is specifically created for eLearning development. If you master the skill of using it, you can create unique content using this tool.
- Highly specialized authoring tools: If your goal is to create high-quality video content or software simulations, then highly specialized authoring tools are your go-to option. This tool can be an ideal option when you complement your major authoring tool with certain features.
So, these are the different types of authoring tools, now let’s look at some of the features of eLearning authoring tools:
- Content authoring: The most basic and important feature of any authoring tool is it should create lessons that include adding images, texts, videos, and other screen elements, etc. This helps to bring your course to life by providing an immersive learning experience.
- Interactions: You need interactive elements and features to engage the learners and provide the best learning experience. Some of the best features that improve the interactivity are built-in activities like drag & drop, sliders or dials, etc. Create interactions with images by markers, variables, pop-ups, and slide layers, etc.
- Quizzes: Quizzes allow the creation of knowledge checks and make it more interactive for the learners. When you choose the tool, check how many different types of quizzes you can create with it.
- Templates: Templates set the right tone and help you establish the right design for your course. Templates and themes give a consistent look to the content so that the learners are glued to it. Some of the best template features to consider are background themes, built-in template shells, the ability to create custom templates and themes, etc.
- Assessments: Assessments help you to track and analyze the progress of your employees. It also helps you to understand the effectiveness of the course. Scoring, analytics and course assessments, etc allow you to track the progress.
- Mobile learning support: With mobile support, it becomes more feasible to learn for the users. But to support it in mobile format, you need your interactive e-course to be in HTML5 format. The course needs to be responsive and adapt to the screen size to have the best learning experience.
To wrap up, this is all about the different types and features of authoring tools. We hope this article helped you understand what an authoring tool is and how it can be useful to your organization.