Europa League: Manchester United Co-President Joel Glazer “apologizes unreservedly” to fans after backlash | Politics News
Manchester United Co-President Joel Glazer has apologized to the fans after the club’s plans to join the European Premier League failed.
He said, “We got it wrong, and we want to show that we can correct things.”
“In our endeavor to create a more stable foundation for the game, we have failed to show adequate respect for its deep-rooted traditions – the ups, downs and the pyramids – and for this we are sorry.”
“This is the greatest football club in the world, and we apologize unreservedly for the disturbances that have occurred over the past few days,” added Mr. Glazer.
Previously, Mr. Glazer was announced as Vice President of the Premier League, saying that he would “open a new chapter in European football, ensure world-class competition and facilities, and increase financial support for the wider football pyramid”.
Mr Glazer joins Liverpool owner John W. Henry, who has apologized to fans and manager Juergen Klopp and his players for the club’s attempt to join the project – which is now expected not to go forward.
In a video posted on the club’s official Twitter account, Mr. Henry said: “I want to apologize to all my fans and supporters of Liverpool Football Club for the disruption I caused during the past 48 hours.”
He said the project “will never stand without the support of the crowd,” adding: “Nobody had ever thought differently in England and during these 48 hours I was very clear that it would not continue. We heard you, I heard you.”
Klopp, his players and his crew also apologized, saying, “They have absolutely no responsibility for this disruption.”
Welcome Exits “We must continue to protect our dear national game,” Prime Minister Boris Johnson of Chelsea, Manchester City, Arsenal, Liverpool, Tottenham and Manchester United said of the controversial competition.
He described the withdrawal of the six Premier League teams from the proposed Premier League as “the right outcome for football fans, clubs and communities across the country”.
I welcome last night’s announcement. This is the right result for football fans, clubs and communities across the country. We must continue to protect our dear national game.
Boris Johnson April 21, 2021
I am glad that the united voice of football fans was heard and heard. It is really important now that we use this moment to secure the health of the game in the future at all levels. As the president of the Football Association, I am committed to playing my role in this work. W.
– The Duke and Duchess of Cambridge (KensingtonRoyal) April 21, 2021
The Duke of Cambridge, the FA president, tweeted that he was “happy” that the fans are now listening.
The teams announced their departure amid protests from fans and intense criticism from many in the game, including former players and critics.
Culture Minister Oliver Dowden told Sky News that it was “a victory for the masses” and “the country is united in condemning these proposals.”
“We were ready to take very bold action to prevent this proposal from going forward,” he said.
“It is very important not to see this as the end of the process,” said Mr. Dowden. “What this has highlighted more than ever is the need to look at the broader governance of football.”
He said the government review announced on Monday will continue and will look at “how we deal with football management, football financing and the entire experience of the fans already.”
In light of the withdrawal of English clubs, the Premier League said it was considering “appropriate steps to reshape the project”.
She said in a statement: “Despite the announcement of the departure of the English clubs, they are forced to take such decisions due to pressure on them, we are convinced that our proposal is fully in line with European law and regulations as made clear today.” [Tuesday] By court decision to protect the Premier League from the actions of a third party.
“Given the current circumstances, we will revisit the most appropriate steps to reshape the project, always keeping in mind our goals of providing the best possible experience for fans while strengthening solidarity payments to the entire football community.
“The European Premier League is convinced that the status quo of European football needs to change. We are proposing a new European competition because the current system is not working.
“Our proposal aims to allow sport to develop while providing resources and stability for the entire football pyramid, including helping to overcome the financial hardships that plague the entire football community as a result of the pandemic.”
Chelsea, which faced angry protest from its fans outside Stamford Bridge, was the first club to act, as it prepares documents for the withdrawal officially.
It is understood that owner Roman Abramovi made the decision, having heard fan protests and opting to hold back.
Manchester City soon followed suit, with the club saying in a statement that it had “taken steps to withdraw” from competition.
Tottenham president Daniel Levy said he regretted the “anxiety and discomfort” he caused, as he confirmed that the club had “initiated formal procedures” for the withdrawal.
Meanwhile, Arsenal admitted to making a “mistake” and apologized after confirming his departure.
An open letter from the club’s board reads: “The past few days have shown us once again the depth of the feeling our fans all over the world are feeling for this great club and the game we love.
“We didn’t need a reminder of this, but the response of the supporters in recent days has given us time for more reflection and deep reflection,” he added.