HS2: Swampy Teenage Son leaves Euston Tunnels after 22 days underground | UK News

HS2: Swampy Teenage Son leaves Euston Tunnels after 22 days underground |  UK News

Swampy’s teenage son, a famous environmental activist, left a tunnel beneath Euston Station after 22 days of protest.

Rory Hopper, 16, left the tunnels network Wednesday morning after spending three weeks underground protesting at HS2 Redevelopment of Euston Square Gardens, London.

The teen, said to be the youngest person to participate, is the 47-year-old son of veteran activist Dan Hopper.

picture:
The teen was taken on a stretcher

Hopper made headlines in the mid-1990s when he was the last to exit a tunnel during an A30 extension protest in Vermeil, Devon.

Stays in Tunnel network is 100 feet long With a small group of activists from the HS2 Rebellion campaign group.

Rory said in a statement: “After nearly three weeks the underground went up.

“This means that there will be more food for others so that they can resist for a longer time. My father will stay in the tunnel and hold out as long as possible.

“I look forward to seeing my mom. She loved digging and staying underground and I’ll keep protesting HS2 must be stopped.

“Young people like me need to take action to stop perpetrating environmental genocide through projects like HS2 because we are in an environmental emergency and our future is at stake.

Environmentalists protest in a swamp at the HS2 high-speed rail construction site in Denham
picture:
Dan Hopper protests HS2 at a construction site in Denham in December

“Digging the tunnel may seem very difficult, but it may be the only way.”

HS2 said on Wednesday morning that the teen was taken on a stretcher and was assessed by paramedics.

“He will be handed over to the capital police,” a spokeswoman said.

Euston HS2 works
picture:
Activists Against Euston’s HS2 Redevelopment Business

The tunnels dug by protesters were secretly discovered on January 26.

READ  Somerset 'Sonic boom' was reported: Live updates as people report loud bangs

HS2 Rebellion argues that many ancient forests will be destroyed by a wider high-speed rail project. In response, HS2 says it is planting seven million new trees.

Last week, protesters lost an attempt by the Supreme Court to derail the process to push them away.

Insurgent HS2 protesters in a tree, part of a camp in Euston Square Gardens in central London, where protesters built a 100-foot tunnel network they were ready to occupy, after claiming the park was at risk from developing the HS2 line.  Picture date: Wednesday, January 27, 2021.
picture:
HS2 rioters on a tree in Euston Square Gardens

A HS2 spokesperson said: “The safety of these trespassing and the safety of HS2 personnel and emergency service personnel in this process are of the utmost importance.

“We continue to do everything in our power to safely end this illegal act, and we reiterate our message to those working underground to comply with the court order and exit the tunnel immediately – for their safety and for the safety of HS2 personnel, agents and emergency service personnel involved in the process.”

Mr. Hopper said earlier that he “couldn’t be more proud” than his son for choosing to join the sit-in, after he helped the group dig tunnels in secret.

Rory’s mother expressed her pride in her son and the other youths who “stood by what they believed with courage and conviction.”

She added, “Participating in the protest was a great experience for Rory … I think he looks forward to some home-cooked food and time spent at home.”

February 15, 2021, London, England, UK: Protester Scotty Brian, also known as Digger Down, left the 100-foot tunnel at Euston Square Gardens at midnight.  He is one of several people who have protested over the past 19 days against High Speed ​​2 (HS2), a planned high-speed rail system in the UK that will connect London, Birmingham, Manchester and Leeds.  (Image credit: Tayfun Salci / ZUMA Wire)
picture:
Digger Down left the tunnels on Sunday

Sunday evening, 46 years old HS2 demonstrator Scott “Scotty” Brian mutinies, Also known as Digger Down, left the tunnels and police escorted him away.

In a Facebook post, Scottie said he chose to voluntarily leave the tunnels after 19 days in order to “relieve pressure on resources (and) allow others to stay longer.”

READ  Chelsea could turn to Brendan Rodgers if Frank Lampard sacks his coach under fire

The 46-year-old, from West Drayton, west London, will appear in Uxbridge First Instance Court next week, charged with failing to comply with a community order.

Ayhan Fletcher

"Subtly charming zombie nerd. Infuriatingly humble thinker. Twitter enthusiast. Hardcore web junkie."

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *